GC 509: Advanced English Pronunciation
Course Information Heading link
What is GC 509?
GC 509 is a 2-credit course designed for non-native English-speaking graduate students who want to improve their English pronunciation to communicate effectively in academic contexts. Students will learn strategies to improve their pronunciation by practicing individual American English sounds (vowels and consonants) and sentence-level pronunciation features like stress, rhythm, and intonation. Interactive lessons and short, in-class presentations provide numerous opportunities for students to apply their pronunciation knowledge and develop their public speaking skills. Throughout the course, students will receive personalized feedback from the instructor.
When does GC 509 meet?
This 8-week course meets for 2 separate 2-hour sessions each week, and it is offered during both Fall and Spring semesters.
In Fall 2023, 2 sections will be offered:
- 10:00-11:50 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays (CRN 41861)
- 2:00-3:50 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays (CRN 41198)
GC 509 will meet in ITAP’s classroom space in SSB (Student Services Building) Room 2790.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Understand their pronunciation strengths and weaknesses
- Learn to improve their pronunciation by practicing strategies introduced in class
- Produce more organized and coherent explanations and presentations
- Develop their listening skills to help them accurately hear the sounds of American English
- Demonstrate improved pronunciation of field-specific language
- Complete the oral English certification process (if needed)
Course Topics (subject to change)
- individual sounds (consonants and vowels)
- thought groups and phrasing
- syllable stress
- connected speech, including reductions and linking
- self-reflection and self-monitoring
- effective practice strategies
After this class, I recognize my weaknesses better and learn much more about the ways I can improve them and get familiar with a lot of different resources.
The course is very helpful. In particular, you teach me how to divide a difficult word and demonstrate how to say it. Great!!
I am using stressing and intonation more than before and I feel it has improved my speech.
It’s a course that not only helps TAs but anyone who is looking to improve their speaking skills. The whole class also improves the self-confidence 🙂